In MEDsys, we provide you HIPAA and HITRUST compliant communication tools to manage your business internally and externally while protecting and securing information. In your day-to-day personal and work email use, it is important to familiarize with email security practices to identify issues that may lead to your account and other information being compromised. Here is a list of safety tips when sending or receiving emails:
- Don’t open an attachment unless you know who it is from & are expecting it.
- If you receive an attachment from someone you don’t know, don’t open it. Delete it immediately.
- Never give out your payment information over email.
- Change your passwords often and use strong passwords
- Use anti-virus software on your local machine, and make sure it’s kept up-to-date with the latest virus definitions.
- Hover your mouse over links before you click on them to see if the URL looks legitimate.
What are Phishing Emails?
Phishing is a type of online scam where criminals send an email that appears to be from a legitimate company and ask you to provide sensitive information. How to recognize phishing emails:
- Messages that contain threats to shut your account down
- Requests for personal information such as passwords or Social Security numbers
- Words like “Urgent” – false sense of urgency
- Forged email addresses
- Poor writing or bad grammar
If your email has been compromised or you notice any suspicious activity always contact your IT department first. If you do not have an IT department, be sure to change your passwords as soon as possible, block and delete suspicious emails, and update your anti-virus programs. If an email was sent from your address to others, be sure to alert those who received it that your account was hacked and not click or download unfamiliar links/files.